Open 24 hours
Every Friday 23.00 - Saturday 10.00 - Closed
Welcome Desk and Information Hub
From Saturday 30 September:
Monday - Friday 08.30 – 21.00
Saturday - 10.00 - 18.00
Sunday – 11.00 - 19.00
ICT Service Desk
Monday - Friday 08.30 – 18.00
Opening hours may change at short notice
Renewals and enquiries about your library account
If you are being disturbed in a quiet or silent study area
Text an Attendant on 020 7594 8883
Information Hub, Central Library
Imperial College London
South Kensington Campus
+44 (0)20 7594 8810
The library is next to the Queen's lawn. Visitors are asked to report to the Welcome Desk. If you have a question please ask at the Information Hub.
We have a range of different study zones to suit you. Each floor is designated as either group, quiet or silent study.
- Level 1 - group study
- Level 2 - quiet study
- Level 3 - silent study
- Level 4 - quiet study (closed for building works)
- Level 5 - silent study (closed for building works)
Please observe the displayed guidance, and encourage your friends and colleagues to follow this too.
Our library attendants regularly patrol all floors and will be pleased to help maintain the study environment.
PCs, laptops and iPads
You'll find PCs on levels 1, 2, 4 and 5.
Printer-copiers are located on levels 1,2 and 4.
You may plug in your own laptop at any vacant power socket but please do not unplug PCs.
We also have iPads and laptops for students to borrow, see Borrowing a laptop or iPad.
For ICT support visit the Service Desk on level 1.
Eating and drinking
The Library Cafe is the best place for eating and drinking.
Only drinks with a lid and cold food items are allowed beyond the entrance turnstiles.
Phone friendly areas
Please keep your phone on silent wherever you are in the building. You may use the following areas to make and receive calls, and please make use of our acoustic phone hoods to reduce disturbance.
- Level 1 - café, group study area, main toilet corridor
- Level 2 - stair landing, outside the toilets
- Level 4 - far corner beyond the toilets (closed for building works)
Books, Journals and DVDs
Our book collection contains material to support both taught courses and research, we also hold a wide range of recreational reading material both fiction and non-fiction. Books are arranged in classmark order:
- Level 2 0 - 499
- Level 3 500 - 529
- Level 4 530 - 619, maps (temporarily located on levels 2 and 3)
- Level 5 620 - 999 and DVDs (temporarily located on level 3)
For the duration of the Central Library Building Project Phase 2 books in the range 750 - 999, which are not on a reading list, and journals have moved to the Store. A store fetching service is in operation.
To borrow items use the self-service machines on level 1.
The 24 hour loan room on level 1 has books in heavy demand.
Older material, PhD theses and MSc theses are kept in the Store and are fetched, on request, by the Store Service. We also hold a number of special collections of historical interest originating from the College's department and medical schools.
Group study rooms
The library has 5 rooms which can be booked by students for group study:
- Room A (Level 1 Wolfson Suite) - maximum 6 people, includes PC, projector and smartboard
- Room B (Level 1 Wolfson Suite) - maximum 6 people, includes PC, projector and smartboard
- Room C (Level 1 group study zone) - maximum 6 people, includes PC, projector and smartboard
- Small group study room (Level 1 Wolfson Suite) - maximum 6 people, includes PC
- Seminar Room 210 (Level 2) - maximum 16 people, includes PC, projector and whiteboard
You may book 2 sessions in any 7 days (maximum booking of 2 hours allowed per day).
Late arrivals: after 15 minutes we may reassign your time slot to another user.
Room 204 is the ICT training room - for booking information see ICT training room.