Composition and Membership
Tabbed information block
The composition of Council is determined by the College's Statutes.
There are between 19 and 23 members of the Council, the majority of whom are lay members, including the Chairman and Deputy Chairman. Also included in its membership are representatives of the staff of the College and of the student body. None of the lay members receive any payment, apart from the reimbursement of expenses, for the work they do for the College.
Council consists of the following persons:
- The Chairman
- The President ex officio
- The Provost ex officio
- The Chief Financial Officer ex officio
- 4 ex officio Members of the senior staff of the College chosen so as to reflect the breadth of disciplines and executive responsibility within the University
- 1 Elected Member, elected by and from among the academic staff
- At least 9 and not more than 13 External Members, co-opted by the Council
- The President of the Imperial College Union ex officio
Procedures for the appointment, election and co-option of members of the Council, including procedures for the filling of casual vacancies, are prescribed by Ordinance.
Members (other than ex officio members) are appointed for a term of four years and are eligible for re-appointment except that members shall not normally be appointed for more than two consecutive terms.
- Sir Philip Dilley
- Mr Christopher Brinsmead CBE
- Mr Iain Conn
- Mr Toby Courtauld
- Mr John Cullen
- Sir Jonathan Michael
- Ms Sara Murray OBE
- Ms Alison Nimmo CBE
- Dr Mahnaz Safa
- Professor Jeremy Sanders CBE FRS
- Mr Chris Williams
- President, Professor Alice Gast
- Provost, Professor James Stirling CBE FRS
- Chief Financial Officer, Mr Muir Sanderson
- President of Imperial College Union, Alex Compton
Senior Staff Representatives
- Professor Francisco Veloso
- Professor Tom Welton
- Professor Nigel Brandon
- Professor Jonathan Weber
Elected Staff Member
- Professor Susan Eisenbach
The Clerk to the Court and Council is the College Secretary, Mr John Neilson.