Health and Safety Academic Leads Group
The Faculty of Natural Sciences Health and Safety Academic Leads Group was formed in 2014 with the aim of improving the health and safety culture in the Faculty through academic engagement and leadership.
Academic Leads group
The group is chaired by the Faculty Dean (Professor Tom Welton) with academic volunteers from within the Departments. Each academic member of the group has a particular technical expertise associated with work in the Faculty.
The group is supported in its discussions by the Faculty Head of Health and Safety (Stefan Hoyle) and the Faculty Safety Manager (Julia Easton).
The group is comprised of academic experts in the following fields:
- Biological and genetically modified organisms safety
- Chemical hazards
- Gases and Cryogenics
- Ionising Radiation
- Offsite work
- Nano technology
The remit of the Health and Safety Academic Leads Group is to:
- Provide academic expertise in areas related to their role and advise on risks.
- Promote good practice and application of health and safety principles amongst their peers.
- Assist the Dean and Faculty Safety Team to implement health and safety procedures and policies that are practicable and effective.
The group meet once per term.
The group has met several times since 2014 and provided advice and assistance on the following subjects:
- Ideas to improve health and safety reporting of incidents in the Departments. The outcomes of the discussions were passed onto the College Safety Dept. and College Academic Safety Champions Group.
- Contributed to the development of the Faculty ‘Safe Lab Practice’ document that defines the minimum safety behaviours for those working in laboratory and other high risk areas.
- Assisted with a review of chemical risk assessments across the lab based Departments that resulted in information from the review being used in the revision of the Chemistry Department Chemical Reaction Risk Assessment.
Members of the group
Professor Tom Welton
Chair of group and Chemical Hazards (and Faculty representative on the College Health and Safety Academic Champions Group)
Dr. Simon Bland
Dr. Ben Sauer
Dr. Saif Haque
Dr. Andrew McKinley
Personal detailsDr. Andrew McKinley
Dr. Jeremy Woods
Professor Neil Fairweather
Biosafety and Genetic Modification